In an era where almost all the people are pursuing their self-interests rather than pursuing personal and social growth, people have been trapped in something called competition. This competition gives nothing but stress, depression and dissatisfaction, which people cannot overcome for decades. This can put human beings into situations where they put themselves even to commit suicide.
In the present context, with the dynamism of the external environment, competition is something that has been embedded in human lives. We cannot survive if we ignore it. To be honest, competition is not always bad. It includes both aspects. But the negative impact of the competition on the people is very high, as I mentioned in the above paragraph also. Therefore, people have a tendency where they are trying to find new ways to overcome the negative impacts of the competition, such as stress, depression, etc.
Among such methods, meditation is one of the growing trends among all such people who are always looking out for such a method to overcome the stress, depression and finding a way to give themselves relief from the stressful life that they are frequently dealing with.
In this article, we are going to give a small idea for all such people who wants a guide to starting the meditation process as beginners. So, here are some tips.
1. The commitment
As a beginner, the very first thing you need to have is commitment. For anything you need to achieve in your life, you should necessarily have that commitment. The same thing applies here, as well. A commitment needs to be generated within yourself and you always should have that eagerness to give yourself a relief from the stressful life that you are currently going through. As a beginner, it will be difficult. You may be busy. But still, if you have that eagerness to feel good, you can find time even if you have thousands of works.
2. A background research
As a beginner, if you can do background research regarding who the people are doing meditations, what are the things that they have gained through the meditation etc. would create motivation within yourself also. This motivation is very important as a beginner.
Apart from that, there are different types of meditations. Mindfulness meditation, Transcendental meditation, Guided meditation, Vipassana meditation, Loving-Kindness Meditation, Chakra Meditation, Yoga Meditation are some of them. Depending on the meditator’s requirement, the background research will help the meditators to choose the type of meditation which suits them the most.
- Mindfulness Meditation – The objective of this meditation is to be mindful of everything you do in your day to day life. This meditation can be done at any place without any time restriction.
- Transcendental meditation- Under this meditation, the meditator requires to repeat a personally assigned mantra.
- Guided Meditation – This type of meditation requires the meditator to generate an imaginary picture or a visual which he or she thinks that will make him or her relaxed. This process needs a teacher or a guider to lead.
- Vipassana Meditation – This is about seeing things as they are. The goal is to transform yourself through self-observation. Continuous practice can result in a self-disciplinary person.
- Loving Kindness Meditation – This is also called Metta Meditation, where the meditators are required to direct good thoughts to almost all the living beings regardless of whether they are friends or enemies of them.
- Chakra Meditation – The roots of this meditation come from India, and it is presumed that there are seven chakras, and all of them are located at different parts of the human body, and they also have a specific color. The goal of this meditation is to provide relaxation to each chakra.
- Yoga Meditation – This also has been started in India, which now has a wide variety of Yoga styles.
The type of meditation that you need to follow will depend on several factors such as medical condition, the availability of time, etc. too.
Under the background research, try to learn about the techniques that you must follow when meditating. In this phase, you have to educate yourself regarding how to sit, how to breathe, how to concentrate, etc.
Therefore, If you do the background research and then start the meditation, the effectiveness would be very high. Because at the point of starting the meditation process, all that you lack is practical knowledge. But on the other hand, you have the required knowledge regarding what you are going to achieve through the meditation process.
3) The props required
When meditating, there are certain props that you need to have. Meditation chairs, meditation pillows, and bolsters are some of them. When choosing the props, you always need to make sure whatever the prop you choose is comfortable, and it will not disturb you by any means. The comfortableness is the priority when choosing a prop.
4) General guidance
As a beginner, you will always wonder whether you are doing the meditation in the right way. Don’t worry about whether you are doing it wrong. Just start with what you know and continue it for a period. When you are continuously doing it, the continuous practice will guide you to meditate with the right method.
At the very beginning, the mind will not be that clear. Therefore, don’t worry about the mind being not clear too. With the practice, you will be able to get the mind into a particular state where the mind is not going here and there. But it takes time. All that you have to do is give yourself time.
Finding a community with whom you love to practice this is also very important. So that you will willingly continue the process. Once you get familiar with the process, you will be continuing it with or without the community. But in the beginning, it is better to have at least one person with whom you can practice the process.
Under this article, we talked about the steps we need to follow as a beginner in the meditation process. In the beginning, we identified the importance of commitment and background research on meditation. Then we discussed the props that we need to have when meditating and finally gave you all a general guidance where most of the beginners will have chaos. Hope the article was useful and let’s meet with another useful article soon.