Horses are among the most beautiful animals and having one for yourself will surely be a beautiful experience. However, they also come with a lot of work that needs to be done properly around them in order to make them feel good, happy, and healthy. There are many things you have to do so that your horse is taken care of properly, and you probably need some advice. Follow this article to see how to take care of your horse.
How Can You Properly Take Care Of Your Horse?
Before buying a horse, you should look into all the ways you will need to care for them, and some of the stuff you probably know by heart. There is still a lot of work to be done, and you have to do everything right in order to have a happy, loving, and healthy animal within your stable. Here is a short guide on what you need to do.
First of all, you must know what kind of food your horse needs, and that is the first and very important step towards having a healthy animal. According to ForagePlus.co.uk, horses require low sugar and low-fat hay in order for their body to function properly. So, there you have it, that is the first thing you have to make sure your horse has on a daily basis. Once you have stocked up its food supply, it is time to learn other things.
2. Stable Chores
Taking care of a horse also means taking care of the environment where it will be spending most of its time, as well as the equipment you are going to put on it. You always have to keep the stable in good condition so that there will be no problem. Here is what you have to do:
- Sweep dust and manure from the aisles
- Remove all cobwebs because they can be a fire hazard because they can collect dust from the hay and the shavings
- Put fresh food and water for the horse
As for the equipment, it always has to be comfortable for the horse. Here is what you always have to have at hand:
- Lead rope
3. Daily Routine
Getting yourself a horse means that you will have to change your daily routine accordingly so that you always take a lot of time to make sure everything is good around your newly bought pet. This is how a typical daily car for your horse has to look like:
- Feed it every morning and night with hay or grain
- Refill water buckets
- Check and pick out its hooves daily
- Take your horse for walks and exercise with it (you need to walk around, stretch his legs, get it out in the sun)
- Have intensive exercise several times a week (riding, lunging)
- Replace his bedding
- Pick out manure and urine spots every day
- Always replace the blankets, especially during the winter
- Spray the horse with insect repellents twice a day, especially during summer
4. Raise The Horse With A Professional
The best way to learn how to take care of your horse is by learning everything with someone very much experienced on the matter. Watch every step of the expert, take notes, take lessons, and do not be afraid of asking questions because that is how you will learn what you need to do. You can also consider borrowing a horse before buying one for yourself so that the owner can teach you everything you must know.
5. Make Sure It Stays Healthy
The health of every living being that is your responsibility must be your top priority. When it comes to horses, these beautiful animals can get sick and injured, and you have to make sure that it does not happen often. First of all, learn how to identify the problems your horse might have. Here is how you make sure everything is fine or determine if something is wrong:
- Know what a healthy horse or pony looks like
- Get a first aid kit (self-sticking bandages, thermometer, cutters, clean stable wraps, gamgee, gauze diapers or other paddings, salts, zinc oxide cream, antiseptic wound cleaner)
- Learn how to take care of your horse’s vital signs
There you have it, now you have the essential basics of how to take care of your horse. Of course, you must read into each and every step that you just read to be sure that you are doing everything right. You will also have to seek help from a professional because taking care of a horse is very hard work. Once you get one, love it with all your heart.