Most of us decked the floors in carpets to have a cozy home. It gives comfort to our feet during a long, hectic day and warmth during winter. Nothing beats the softness it makes us feel when we walk around the house.
But, how can you cozily lie next to a heater or a fireplace on your carpet if it’s dirty and dusty? As carpets give you comfort, it needs care and maintenance. Your daily vacuum run is not enough. Now, you might be worried about how to clean them.
Well, you can bring your carpet to the nearest dry cleaning expert. But, if you want to do the cleaning yourself, here are some of the best carpet cleaning hacks you should know.
Remove Dust and Grime on Carpet
You already know carpets have to be vacuumed daily. If you don’t, soil and dust particles settle on carpet fibers, making them look dull and retain odors. Not only that, your carpet backing and fibers will easily wear.
Using a vacuum with strong suction and doing it every day is the best way to clean your carpet. But, if you do not have a vacuum, you can call a maid service to do it for you. Maid services can clean the entire house for you. However, if it is out of your budget, here are a few tips you can use to get rid of the dust and dirt:
- Sweep carpet with broom and dustpan to remove dirt and debris. Ensure that the broom has stiff bristles.
- Take carpet outside, hang it over a clothesline, and use a rug beater to fluff and remove dust.
- Manual carpet sweeper.
But, if you have a vacuum, do it thoroughly and slowly for the best results. You can also freshen up the carpet by generously sprinkling baking soda on the carpet. The baking soda will absorb odors and stains. Let it sit for an hour or two and vacuum the baking soda. Do this trick every month.
Deep Clean Carpet
As we have mentioned, carpet cleaning is not only about daily vacuums. You have to deep clean your carpet at least twice a year. Deep cleaning removes heavy soil, restores fiber buoyancy, and brightens the color of your carpet.
Most professional carpet cleaners use a combination of detergents and steam. But, since you are here to do it yourself, you can use do this:
- Mix one part of distilled white vinegar and three parts of cold water in a spray bottle. Before you start, spray the vinegar solution in a hidden location to test its colorfastness. If there’s color bleeding, do not continue.
- Spray the vinegar until it is damp. Allow the solution to sit for 5 minutes. Use a microfiber cloth to blot the solution and soil. Rinse the microfiber cloth with water.
- Allow the carpet to airdry.
Do not forget to vacuum and treat visible stains before deep cleaning your carpet. If you have to deal with oil, tar, and other stains that require special treatment, it is better to consult professional cleaners.