Electricity powers our lives. Without it, most of us would be completely lost. According to the National Fire Protection Association, it’s also one of the primary causes of household fires in the United States. In this article, we’ll walk you through seven safety tips that you need to be aware of:

Damaged Electrical Cables

One of the most important things to look out for is damaged electrical cables. Your extension leads and electrical devices should all be regularly checked. If you notice any damaged electrical cables, then you need to repair or replace them. To avoid damaging your home’s electrical cables, use cable clips to fasten cables that are constantly in use to the wall. This will prevent them from being a trip hazard, overheating, and stop them from being chewed by pets.

Damaged electrical cables are a serious electrical hazard. If you have contact with an exposed wire, you could receive a shock. If a cable’s insulation is damaged, this could cause a short, which might lead to a fire.

You also need to make sure that you keep unused cables safe and tucked away in a drawer or cabinet. This is so that they don’t get damaged. Try to avoid wrapping cables around objects, as this can stretch them.

Overloading Your Sockets

A bad habit a lot of people get into is overloading their sockets. When you overload your plug sockets, you increase the chances of an electrical fire breaking out. You should also look out for hot plugs, which can be indicative of loose wiring.

You also need to make sure that larger appliances, like fridges and ovens, have their own single sockets. They should never be plugged into an extension lead. You also need to know which appliances need different amounts of power.

Don’t ever overload plug adaptors or extension leads, either. Overloading extension leads can increase your chances of a fire.

If you’re not using an electrical appliance, then you need to unplug it and store it somewhere safe. This will save you money on your electricity bills, and it will prevent power surges and overheating.

Attempting Repairs Yourself

Most electricians agree that if you haven’t got a qualification or experience in electrics, then you shouldn’t ever attempt to make any repairs yourself. Working with electricity can be very dangerous. Electricians have to undergo rigorous testing before they are allowed to work with electricity. Instead of burdening yourself with home repairs, the electrical specialists from Repairs.sg says that you should just hire an electrical professional. Not only is it easier hiring an electrician, but it’s safer.

Water and Electricity

Water and electricity are a deadly combination. You must always keep them apart. The ions in water conduct electricity, which means that even a small amount of water can cause an electric shock or electrocution. Make sure that you clean up any spills so that your plugs don’t get wet. You also need to make sure that you don’t store water next to any electrical sockets or appliances. Always dry your hands if they’re wet and you need to touch an electrical device.

Fake Devices

Fake electrical devices can be very dangerous. Many of them don’t meet national safety standards. They’re usually carelessly made, and illegal to purchase and distribute. Fake hair-dryers, phones, laptops, hair straighteners, and curlers are all examples of this. When you’re buying an electrical device, make sure that you buy it directly from the manufacturer or alternatively from respectable and well-known local retailers. Also, make sure that any electrical appliance that you buy is covered by a warranty.

Manufacturer’s Instructions

Most electrical devices will come with a set of instructions. These instructions will tell you exactly how to operate a device. It’s important that you follow these, as they have been carefully drawn up by the manufacturer so that you can use your device or appliance safely.

Manufacturer instructions provide us with technical information that can help us to use our devices properly. They’ll also tell us any information that’s relevant to the device, such as safety information and handling information.

Keep Appliances Away from Heat

Another thing that you need to ensure is that your appliances are not exposed to heat. Appliances generate enough heat by themselves, they don’t need anymore. When your appliances are exposed to high levels of heat, there’s always a chance that an electrical fire could break out. You could also cause your appliances to short circuit, or your fuses could blow.

The electrical tips that we’ve gone over in this article will not only make your life easier, but they could save your life. Never take chances with electrical devices. Follow our advice, and you’ll be fine! Thanks for reading.

Categorized in:

Tagged in:

, ,